Comparison… a thief
When you compare…
- Your focus is instantly directed inward (on you).
- You just don’t quite ever measure up.
- You go from loving that person to envying that person, to coveting what they have. (All this evil rises up in your heart in the matter of seconds).
- You lose the gratitude you once had… you are no longer thankful for what you’ve been given.
- You become the victim, (or so you think) joy ripped right from you. You start to measure God’s goodness based on what He has, or has not given you. You question His character and ask Him how He could do such a horrendous thing to create you in this way.
- You believe lies that God must not be good. (Maybe He is good to others, but not to you). Even lies that He must not love you, or have the best for you. (Which is the opposite of what you’ve been told since you were a child). He’s holding back from you (lie).
- You are no longer thankful for that person, and the way God made them.
- You become entitled.
- You dream to be and lust after something God never created you to be.
- You lose all contentment.
- You can no longer be you (and flourish in being unapologetically you). You can no longer bear His image because you are trying to be somebody else.
Bottom line: Your focus, rather than serving others and loving them wholeheartedly…
You serve you and love you alone.
Unable to give.
No longer able to function the way you were literally designed to function.
“Why are there so many people in human culture who are driven, sad, unfulfilled, hopeless and lost? Because they are attempting to do something they were never created to do. You were not created to live for you and you alone. That will never be a happy existence. It will never be a fulfilling existence. You think it will but it will leave you empty because you cannot find fulfillment denying what you were created to be. It won’t happen.
The most satisfying, the most lovely, the most glorious, the most fulfilling, and the happiest life of deep abiding contentment is found in a life of love.
When your world tells you the way to be happy is to prioritize you, and be absorbed with you and put you first. Your world tells you a horrible lie. A dehumanizing lie.
We ought to love. It was what we were designed to do. It was what we were recreated in Christ Jesus to have the ability to do.
Loves Model– Sermon by Paul Tripp
He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.
2 Corinthians 5:15
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.